Some might think this photo was taken at Donington, but it is in fact at Brooklands during the Junior Car Club’s J.C.C. International Trophy on May 6, 1939. This is Kenneth Douglas Evans, who usually entered as K. D. Evans, driving his supercharged 3 liter Alfa Romeo P3 Grand Prix car, painted in British Racing Green, with which he was a regular competitor from 1937 until the War years. He finished fourth in this event which was won by Prince Bira in the old ex-Whitney Straight Maserati 8CM.
Kenneth Evans was a member of a well-known motor racing family which owned the Bellevue Garage at the corner of Bellevue and Althorp Roads in the Wandsworth section of London which is located south of the Thames opposite Fulham. A chartered surveyor, Evans began racing when 21 in MGs along with his brother Denis and sister Doreen who were both rally and trials specialists. The head mechanic for the Evans family was W. E. “Wilkie” Wilkinson who became well-known for his work with Ecurie Ecosse in the postwar years. Wilkie was no doubt a critical factor in the Evans family’s competition successes.
The Alfa P3 was designed by the great Vittorio Jano and was a very successful Grand Prix machine in the early 1930s. Kenneth Evans drove his Alfa P3 in Continental races as well as in England, including finishing ninth in the 1937 German Grand Prix on the Nürburgring, the scene of his P3’s greatest triumph when it was used by Tazio Nuvolari to win the German Grand Prix in 1935 for Scuderia Ferrari.
After the War, Evans sold the Alfa P3 to Roy Salvadori. He then raced a Maserati 6CM with his friend Ian Connell but finally retired and became the head flag marshall for the British Racing Drivers Club at Silverstone for a several years. He also was instrumental in preserving the postwar remains of Brooklands and creating the Brooklands Museum Trust.
Photo by Louis Klemantaski ©The Klemantaski Collection – http://www.klemcoll.com