On April 27, 1960 members of the Ferrari team gathered at Monza for a test of their F1 and sports cars. A special guest attended the test being Battista Pinin Farina who was welcomed by Enzo Ferrari. Farina, who would officially change his last name to Pininfarina a year later, had been a close collaborator of Enzo Ferrari since the early 1950s and both he and his firm would continue their prime position as a designer of bodies for Ferrari’s road cars and certain of his racing and prototype cars for many years to come.
There were two racing cars being tested in front of the watchful eye of Enzo Ferrari and racing director Romolo Tavoni. First was a 246F1, still a front-engined F1 car, but perhaps to be replaced by a rear-engined version which would first appear at the year’s Monaco Grand Prix. Then there was a 250TRI/60, an updated version of the 1959 sports car, but now with independent rear suspension which was derived from the coil spring design of that used on the 246F1. Finally, a lightweight competition version of the 250GT short-wheelbase berlinetta was also on hand. All were designs from the Carrozzeria Pinin Farina.
In addition to Farina, Ferrari and Tavoni, technical manager Carlo Chiti was also involved with the test as were the drivers to run the three cars which had been brought to Monza. From left in the above photo are Phil Hill, Wolfgang von Trips and Richie Ginther with Chiti behind von Trips and Ginther.
Photos by Peter Coltrin ©The Klemantaski Collection – http://www.klemcoll.com
To see more photos from our archive go to: http://www.klemcoll.com/TheGallery.aspx